Evans Votes for Economic Rescue Bill
WASHINGTON (March 27, 2020) – Congressman Dwight Evans (PA-03) voted today for the CARES Act, the third major bill Congress has passed to address the Covid-19 outbreak.
“This economic rescue bill isn’t perfect but urgent action is needed to prevent a second Great Depression. People and businesses in Philadelphia and across the country need help now. And this bill includes many critical priorities I and Democratic colleagues fought for,” Evans said.
Evans said the bill includes:
• Rebate payments of up to $1,200 for each adult individual, and up to $500 per qualifying child under age 17. Most Americans will receive them automatically.
• A massive $260 billion investment in unemployment insurance benefits, including a $600 per week, 13-week increase -- on top of state benefits -- for workers who lost a job due to Covid-19. “We fought off a last-minute Republican attempt to cut this much-needed relief for workers,” Evans said;
• Expanded unemployment compensation eligibility to cover self-employed and “gig economy” workers, as well as people who couldn’t start work due to Covid-19;
• A $200 billion investment in hospitals, health systems and health research;
• A $377 billion infusion of fast relief for small businesses and making rent, mortgage and utility costs eligible for Small Business Administration loan forgiveness.
“As far as I am concerned, this is far from the last coronavirus bill. Democrats know there are still more needs to take care of because of the virus outbreak, and I fully expect we will be developing more legislation to take care of the American people during this challenging time,” Evans said.
“I know this is a difficult time. When in doubt, listen to the medical professionals over anyone else. And if we work together – and do basic things like washing hands and maintaining social distancing – we will get through this outbreak.”
To keep up with news and government actions about the outbreak, Evans invites constituents to follow his updates on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, @RepDwightEvans. They can also sign up for his e-newsletter at evans.house.gov. Evans’ office is continuing to provide service to constituents by telephone or email; the Philadelphia office number is 215-276-0340.
Evans represents Pennsylvania’s 3rd Congressional District, which includes Northwest and West Philadelphia and parts of North, South, Southwest and Center City Philadelphia.